SoCalEcotecs

A group of car enthusiast that support the Ecotec motor and the Delta platform

Welcome to the SoCalEcotecs forum. When you first join the site be sure to go to the welcome center and create an Intro thread that includes your Name, what city you live in and what car you drive.

New guy from the Central Valley

Skittle SS

New guy from the Central Valley

Post by Skittle SS on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Hey there everyone, My name is Nick. I live in Hanford. For those of you scratching your head its about 30 miles south of Fresno. That being the case, I dont let it stop me from making frequent trips to the LA and San Diego areas. I had the pleasure of meeting a few people from the forum at last weeks Angeles Crest drive and got the invite.

Now for the goods, Ive got a 2008 Cobalt SS/TC, rockin the sport red tint coat. Its still relatively stock except for the GM stage one, Hahn intercooler and some hard pipes. Got a new set of tires last week. A set of Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetricals. Took them for a track day at Willow Springs and they have got grip for days. Held up pretty good with only some minor chunking, but thats probably my weak skillz and not the tires.

Ive already got some more parts on the way including a K&N intake, Pedders springs, Forge diverter valve, and a Hahn catless downpipe. Im gonna track the car as often as my job and wallet will allow me, so thats the direction Im going to be taking the car performance wise. However if anyone can recommend anyone who can powdercoat, that would be awesome. Im looking to set my car apart a little from the cobalt rental fleet. Variety is the spice of life afterall, right?

Anyway I look forward to meeting the rest of you and hopefully will be able to make it to some meets real soon. Take'r easy and drive safe

-Nick
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Re: New guy from the Central Valley

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:16 pm

nice man looks good well definately be buddys cause im setting up my car for the same thing and havent beeen to willow springs yet but want to so bad!

you need to come down to fontana sometime too for the roval

and i know a few good powdercoaters what do you want done?

our next meet is june 18th but its probably too tight of schedule for you to make it lol

Post by Skittle SS on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:27 pm

Right on, yeah we were doing the fast track, not the streets of willow, so it was really intense Shocked

yeah I definately need to get out of the central valley and stop hanging out with Jack Daniels every weekend.

As far as the powdercoating goes Im looking to get the 'ol stock wheels done, thinking of that super bronze you see all those Volk wheels coming in. Beyond that just a few little things, rear calipers, possibly change up the color of my charge piping.

Yeah ill know for sure tomorrow whether I can sneak out this weekend and hit the meet. If I do come Ill be bringing some goodies of my own to install
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:31 pm

yea ive never been to either so far just fontana for redline time attack but its no longer open to amateurs Sad

well theres a guy in canada called john powell who we get most of our parts from and he does custom powdercoateing like brakes and **** i just got a red valve cover from him. But david goes to a place in huntington beach called specialized and they do great work but not cheap.

And oh ok cool sounds good man itll be in huntington beach from about 10am till 10pm or so lol

Post by Skittle SS on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Ive been getting involved with those ExtremeSpeed guys as well as a group called Speed Ventures. Theyre both beginner/amateur friendly, but they both cost some coin.

As far as the powdercoating goes, I dont mind dropping the $$$ as long as they can work with me put out quality product. Most of the places Ive come across are pretty limited in the colors they can do.

Yeah Ive heard of Mr Powell, hes got some parts out for the cobalts, like that uber sick hardcore sway, but doesnt currently have anything on his site about them. Whats the best way to contact him and how does he arrange for payment?
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:55 pm

yea ive heard of both back in may they went to fontana but it was $290 for the day lol willow is a wee bit more affordable so ill be going out there after summer its like a two hour drive for me

and oh ok cool but na specialized is good and has most of colors you want

and yup i have his tow hooks and hardcore rear sway bar and just ordered a red valve cover and cabs from him so should be fun and yea his website doesnt say **** about him either contact him via email

qwickredline@hotmail.com

or on either cobaltss.net or gmsportcompact.net and you can paypal him or use credit card hes a cool guy and knows his **** about cobalts and road racing he built the time attack cobalt

Post by Skittle SS on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:08 pm

Yeah this last willow they had a deal saturday and sunday for like $200. Unfortunately I couldnt do the sunday

Awesome, I definately need to jump on that tow hook and sway. Im gonna need a tow off the track eventually, and the tow trucks arent nice on the stock tow points, or the surrounding body work for that matter
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:19 pm

yea i heard its just far hot and windy lol but next time for sure and yea you do i didnt even think they let you out there without one thats why i bought one lol and the pedders and hardcore bar man is night and day over the stock ss/tc suspension

how do you like your eagles? i replaced my contis in may with hankook rs3s and i love them but havent been to track with my new setup yet

Post by Skittle SS on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 pm

It was definately hot and windy, but the wind cools things off, wierd little twist there.

As long as you HAVE a tow point; stock or otherwise; they ask you to sign a waiver and specify your tow point.

Thats what I heard, I definately need that sway bar, on the tight radius and hairpins I can feel the *** end start to drift out and pull the tires along.

The Eagles are awesome, they simply wont let go of the road, they held up really well over the 2+ hours on the track, only slight wear overall.
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:52 pm

haha yea thats what everybody always says and oh ok gotcha

and yup the swaybar will get rid of that no problem he has a street bar hardcore bar and now xxx bar lol

he also makes cabs ss brake lines harness bar side underail bars and a few other goodies too lol

and oh ok thats cool what psi did you put in them before you went out on track?

Post by Skittle SS on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:32 am

Man it sounds like I need to get in touch with him and spend some $$$

I havent heard anything about the under rail bars, whats involved with those and how do they benefit handling?

I dropped down to 31 psi all around. I probably could have gone a little lower, but I figured Id stay on the conservative side to get a feel for them, plus I read a few reviews that said that had a tendancy to start cupping, so I didnt want to risk it right out of the gate. Next time Ill try 29-30 psi
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:41 am

Haha yea he makes good **** and uses and installs all of it and the underrails have a quick jackpoint and either bonded or welded to car and stiffen up the car a lot...And oh ok gotcha u running air or nitrogen and u got 225 or 235? I run 32 to 35 on street and will probably do 40 or so at the track to stiffen the sidewalks

Post by SRTCobaltSS on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:16 am

Welcome! Sport Red Tint Coat is the best!!! Lol!
    Mofofernando
    Admin

Post by Mofofernando on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:03 am

CAPN THREADJACKISBACK wrote:Haha yea he makes good **** and uses and installs all of it and the underrails have a quick jackpoint and either bonded or welded to car and stiffen up the car a lot...And oh ok gotcha u running air or nitrogen and u got 225 or 235? I run 32 to 35 on street and will probably do 40 or so at the track to stiffen the sidewalks
    youre gonna compromise traction running that high PSI mike.

Welcome Nick car looks good my old balt was SRTC and its by far the best color for the cobalts

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:28 am

Nope john told me to run that high Aaron you've never even been to track so how would u know lol and my hankook max psi is 51 which is higher than stock contis still might fill up with nitrogen too...

Post by Skittle SS on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:09 am

Im running the 225s, I dropped down in PSI since the track temps were way up and they had just resurfaced the track. By the end of my runs the pressures had heated up to around 35-36 PSI. Im assuming its just air in them since nitrogen is less prone to rising in pressure due to heat.

Thanks guys, yeah the SRTC is awesome, came across it purely by luck, the salesman at the stealership said it was the only one in the state, he was probably just jerking my chain, but its nice to think it would be that rare.
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:27 am

oh ok cool and yea gotcha makes sense but the tpms system is pretty dope lol

and yea i wanted victory red lowrise wing and no sunroof and that was a ***** and hmm i dont think ive ever seen a srtc ss/tc in person cept a sedan lol which was even more rare

Post by Skittle SS on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:47 am

That IS pretty rare, Ive only seen one other sedan TC on the road and it was white
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:40 am

Haha yea he either totalled it or sold if Dan has a white ss tc coupe and his neighbor has a white ss tc sedan lol

Post by Skittle SS on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:22 pm

Man what a coincidence. Id be lucky to run into an SS at all out this way. There is one guy who works in my area with an ss/sc. I havent had a chance to chat with him and see what his deal is, but I see his car parked around every now and then.
    Skittle SS

Post by Skittle SS on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Really stoked now that FedEx says my parts are on their way to my doorstep Exclamation
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:28 pm

Haha nice what you got coming ? I just ordered a bunch of stuff for mine lol now just gotta get it on

Post by Skittle SS on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:37 pm

K&N Typhoon intake, Pedders springs, Forge DV, Aeroforce gauge and dual gauge pod.
    MikethemodlistKoldus

Post by MikethemodlistKoldus on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:56 pm

Nice should be fun I put my pedders on at last Install meet and would have gotten k&n intake but its not carb legal Sad

Post by Skittle SS on Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:02 pm

Oh really? Bummer. What does that mean for you if its not carb legal?

How difficult are the pedders to install? I heard that if they werent oriented properly it could cause all sorts of issues.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:36 pm